Capital Day, Tuesday, April 25, 2017 in Albany, NY
Please Note: The morning registration and presentation will be held at The Hilton Albany, 40 Lodge Street, Albany, NY.
Legislative Visits - After the morning presentation, you will need to walk up the hill to the Capitol Building for your scheduled visits.
9:00 am - 9:30 am - Registration sign-in
9:30 am - 10:30 am - Welcome and Discussion
10:30 am - 11:00 am - Group Photo
11:00 am - leave to walk up to the Capitol Building for legislative visits
11:30 am - 3:00 pm - Legislative Visits (times and locations vary; you will be given a schedule in your packet)
Legislative Agenda for Capital Day
1. DNR Bill (S.1869 Hannon/A.7277 Gottfried): Authorizes nurse practitioners to execute orders not to resuscitate and orders relating to life sustaining treatments
2. Workers Compensation Bill (S.1122 Valesky): Relates to diagnosis, care and treatment of injured employees by certified nurse practitioners. The bill authorizes the diagnosis, care and treatment of injured employees by certified nurse practitioners under the workers' compensation program. The inclusion of certified nurse practitioners to conduct healthcare services consistent with their scope and training will afford injured workers greater access to care and more provider options across New York State
3. NP Civil Service Bill (A.834 Gunther/S.3567 Hannon): An act to require the director of the classification and compensation division of the civil service department to establish various classifications for nurse practitioners.
4. Automated External Defibrillators Legislation (No current bill number): This would clarify that any health care practitioner, who has the necessary experience, prescribing authority, and scope of practice, may enter into an agreement with a person or entity seeking to possess and/or operate an automated external defibrillator, as is required by the Public Health Law.
Important Items to Note:
- Dress professionally for the day and wear comfortable shoes. There will be a lot of walking.
- Bring a white lab coat to wear for the group photo.
- Bring business cards to leave after each visit, if you have them.
- All attendees will be making legislative visits in designated teams - primarily organized by your address. These visits have been already scheduled and you do not need to set up any appointments on your own.
- Each team has a designated, "Team Leader", who has already agreed to help organize each team and guide the visits.
- Please note that you may not always be visiting your Legislator who represents your address. In order to accommodate the large group of attendees, some individuals will be visiting with other Legislators.
- Also, you may not meet the actual Legislator. There are times that you may meet with the Legislator's staff member in addition to or in lieu of your Legislator. A Legislator's staff may actually be more aware of the issues we are presenting and has the ability to properly advise the Legislator.
This activity is approved for 1.0 contact hour of continuing education by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Activity ID 17022539. This activity was planned in accordance with AANP Accreditation Standards and Policies.