Nurse Practitioner Association of Long Island, Inc - Practice Issues 2019 Critical Issues and Clinical Updates for Nurse Practitioners
Friday, April 5, 2019 - 7:30 am - 5:45 pm
NPALI Student Members - $125 - (students will be contacted and asked to submit a copy of student ID)
NPALI Members - $175
Late Registration & Non-members - $365 - after March 18, 2019 - if available
Please Note: Online Registration Only. No mail in registrations will be accepted. Payment must be made via credit card. No personal checks accepted.
It is your responsibility to ensure your NPALI membership is current PRIOR to conference registration. If you are not a current member, or your membership expires after registration and PRIOR to the conference date, your registration will be CANCELLED.
Absolutely no onsite registrations.
Cancellation must be confirmed in writing by March 30, 2019. An administrative fee of $25 will be retained. No refunds will be made after this date.
- 7:30 am - 8:00 am - Registration/Continental Breakfast/Exhibit
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am - NPALI Region 7 General Meeting - Colleen Irwin, DNP, ANP-C, AACC, FAANP, NPALI President
- 8:30 am - 9:30 am - Safe Prescribing in Older Adults - Wendy L. Wright, MS,RN, APRN, FNP, FAANP, FAAN
- 9:30 am - 10:30 am - Insomnia Across the Life Span: Latest Treatment Options - Wendy L. Wright, MS,RN, APRN, FNP, FAANP, FAAN
- 10:30 am - 11:00 am - Break/Exhibits/Poster Presentation
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm - The Ups, Downs & Updates for Treating Patients with Bipolar Disorders - Susie Adams, PhD, PMHNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - Lunch in the Plaza Room
- 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm - Exhibits/Poster Presentation
- 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm - S/He Said What? Dealing with Difficult Others - Eileen T. O'Grady, PhD, RN, NP-BC
- 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm - Unexpected Consequences: The Positive, Negative Impact of Psychotropic, Diabetic and OTC Medications - Margaret Fitzgerald, DNP, FNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN, CSP
- 3:30 pm - 3:45 pm - Break/Exhibits/Poster Presentation
- 3:45 pm- 4:45 pm -Laboratory Diagnostics: A Focus on Renal Insufficiency and Renal Failure - Margaret Fitzgerald, DNP, FNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN, CSP
- 4:45 pm - 5:45 pm - Wine & Cheese Reception
Continuing Education Credits
This education activity will be submitted to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners for approval of up to 6.5 contact hours of accredited education.
Goals & Objectives
- Discuss the goals of NPALI & function of the PAC.
- Describe the various legislative initiative the NPA is working on.
- Discuss the differences in pharmacokinetics in the older adult vs. the younger adult.
- Review tips for safe prescribing in the older adult.
- Discuss malpractice cases which involve adverse reactions to medications in the older adult.
- Discuss the incidences and prevalence of insomnia across the lifespan.
- Identify the appropriate work-up of the individual with insomnia.
- Discuss non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options for the patient with insomnia.
- Identify key questions and screening tools to refine diagnostic interviewing skills for potential bipolar disorders.
- Discuss phase based pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic intervention for bipolar patients.
- Describe health consequences of allowing others harsh behavior to impact our well-being.
- Review a triage system for identifying narcissists, bullies, power struggles and vampires.
- Generate effective evidence-based remedies for self preservation when exposed to most difficult people in society.
- Identify the appropriate use of lab testing as part of the clinical evaluation process of the patient with renal impairment.
- Identify the impact of renal impairment on prescribing select medications.
- Describe the positive and negative effects of select medications, psychotropic, diabetic and OTC medications.
About the Program Faculty
Wendy L. Wright, MS, RN, APRN, FNP, FAANP, FAAN - owner of Wright & Associates Family Healthcare @ Amherst and Concord, Partners in Healthcare Education. She is an Adult and Family Nurse Practitioner of over 25 years. She is a National Speaker at more than 1000 programs in 47 states.
Susie Adams, Phd, PMHNP, FAANP, FAAN - Distinguished professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. Teaching, research and private clinical specialist as a PMHNP. She is a national speaker on mood disorders co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Eileen O'Grady, PhD, RN, NP-BC - She is a certified nurse practitioner who is the Executive and Wellness Coach at The School of Wellness in Washington, D.C. She uses an evidence-based approach with people to reverse or prevent diseases.
Margaret Fitzgerald, DNP, FNP-BC, CSP, DCC, FAANP, FAANP - President of Fitzgerald health Education Association a leading provider on NP certification preparation and continuing education. She practices at a federally qualified health center for more than 3 decades. Her numerous contributions has led to many recognitions including the Loretta C. Ford Lifetime Achievement Award and the Sharp Cutting Edge Award. She is also an adjunct professor at Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing.
Colleen Irwin, DNP, ANP-BC, AACC, FAANP - President of the Nurse Practitioner Association of New York State Region 7 - Long Island (NPALI). She is the Program Manager for the Department of Veterans Affairs. Dr. Wash Irwin has 23 years experience as a cardiology NP. She has spoken nationally at the AANP conference as well as the state and local NPA conferences.
Heading East from the Long Island Expressway: Take exit 48, Round Swamp Road. At light make left. Take Round Swamp Road to the end (2.6 miles). Make left at light onto NY 25 – Jericho Turnpike .Proceed west for 1 mile. Crest Hollow is on the right.
Heading West from the Long Island Expressway: Take exit 48, Round Swamp Road. At light make right take Round Swamp Road to the end (2.6 miles). Make left at light onto NY 25 – Jericho Turnpike. Proceed west for 1 mile. Crest Hollow is on the right.
If driving on Northern State Parkway: Take Round Swamp Road (exit 39).Drive 1.3 miles north to NY 25 – Jericho Turnpike and turn left. Proceed west for 1 mile. Crest Hollow is on the right.