The Nurse Practitioner Association New York State One Day Conference
May 30, 2020
Excelsior Springs Event Center, 47 Excelsior Ave, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Click here to download a copy of the brochure. Seating is limited to 200 so we encourage you to register online.
Presenter: Dr. Wendy L. Wright, DNP, ANP-BC, FNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN, FNAP
Wendy received her Doctor of Nursing Practice in 2019 from the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa. She is a 1992 graduate of the Adult Primary Care Nurse Practitioner program at Simmons College in Boston, Massachusetts and completed a family nurse practitioner post-master’s program in 1995. Wendy is an adult and family nurse practitioner and the owner of two, nurse practitioner owned and operated clinics within New Hampshire named: Wright & Associates Family Healthcare. Her family practices have won numerous awards, including Top Providers in New Hampshire 2018, Top 20 Fastest Growing Family Business, and Top 20 Women-Owned Business in New Hampshire. In addition, she is the Owner of Partners in Healthcare Education, a medical education company. Dr. Wright is the Past President of NPACE and the Senior lecturer for Fitzgerald Health Education Associates.
Dr. Wright is the recipient of numerous awards and was chosen by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as the 1999 recipient of the New Hampshire State Excellence Award. In addition, she received the 2009 NH Nurse Practitioner of the Year and the 2014 Top 5 Women in New Hampshire Business Award. In 2005, Wendy was inducted as a Fellow into the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners; in October 2014, a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, and in March 2017, a Fellow into the National Academies of Practice.
Wendy is the founder of the NH Chamber of Entrepreneurial Nurse Practitioners, an organization designed to assist nurse practitioners with independent practice issues. In addition to full-time clinical practice, she presents nationally to different audiences and has been a speaker at over 1000 conferences in 47 states. Dr. Wright is the nurse practitioner representative to the State of NH Immunization Advisory Board. She has been a medical media spokesperson for numerous companies and has appeared on radio, television, and in print magazines. Wendy is frequently consulted by malpractice attorneys around the area of clinical practice and has worked on more than 100 malpractice cases involving nurses and nurse practitioners.
7:00 am - 8:15 am - Registration Check-in and continental breakfast
8:15 am - 9:30 am - New Drug Update 2020: What's Hot and What's Not
9:45 am - 11:00 am - Pharmacologic Management of Obesity Throughout the Lifespan
11:15 am - 12:30 pm - Antibiotic Update 2020: A Focus on Respiratory Infections
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm - lunch break
1:30 pm - 2:45 pm - The Latest in Treating Depression and Anxiety in Primary Care
3:00 pm - 4:15 pm - Drug-Drug Interactions: Safe Prescribing and Avoiding Errors to Prevent Malpractice
New Drug Update 2020: What's Hot and What's Not - Keeping up with new medications, particularly given the recent trend towards direct to consumer advertising, is one of the true challenges of primary care. Wendy will focus on the top new, widely used medications, including the appropriate uses, adverse effects and drug interactions.
Pharmacologic Management of Obesity Throughout the Lifespan - This presentation will discuss the health risks associated with obesity, identify the various behavioral modalities utilized to assist with weight loss and discuss pharmacologic strategies for weight stabilization or loss int he overweight or obese individual.
Antibiotic Update 2020: A Focus on Respiratory Infections - Pneumonia, ABRS, AECB, and AOM are commonly encountered respiratory conditions in the pediatric and adult patient. The latest in treatment options for individuals with these conditions will be discussed in detail.
The Latest in Treating Depression and Anxiety in Primary Care - Depression and anxiety are frequently encountered in the primary care setting. Treatment often combines both non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies. It is often difficult to decide between the various agents currently on the market. An experienced nurse practitioner will provide a review of the latest in treatment options for the patient with depression and anxiety and will make recommendations based upon patient presentation.
Drug-Drug Interactions: Safe Prescribing and Avoiding Errors to Prevent Malpractice - This presentation will discuss the most common mechanisms for drug-drug interactions, techniques to ensure safe prescribing and review cases involving prescribing errors and medical malpractice cases.
Contact Hours - This education activity will be submitted to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners for approval of up to 6.25 contact hours (which includes 6.25 pharmacology content) of accredited education.
Please note: contact hours and pharmacology content hours are subject to change as approval of contact hours and pharmacology content will be reviewed and determined by AANP.
NPA Member & Student Transition Member - $200
NPA Student & Retired Member - $125
Non-Member - $325
Parking - There is limited parking at the venue, no additional charge for parking. Valet parking is also available at no additional charge.
The NPA does NOT have a room block, but if you are interested in lodging you can contact the following hotels that are in close proximity to the Excelsior Springs Event Center.
Courtyard by Marriott Saratoga Springs - 11 Excelsior Ave, Saratoga Springs, NY - 518-226-0538 - click here to go to their website
Saratoga Hilton - 534 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY - 518-584-4000 - click here to go to their website
For anyone who has not opted in for the Event Ticket Protection insurance or does not qualify based on the list of covered reasons as outlined below, The NPA will charge a $50 administrative fee for any cancellations received prior to May 20, 2020. No refunds will be issued after May 20, 2020.
All cancellation requests must be made in writing. If you have purchased the Event Ticket Protection you are still required to send a written cancellation request to The NPA. If your reason for cancelling is covered under the Event Protection insurance, you will not be charged the administrative fee. We encourage you to opt in for the Event Ticket Protection insurance as the fee is much lower than The NPA administrative fee.
When registering for this One Day Conference you can select to opt in/out for Event Ticket Protection insurance. The cost of the Event Ticket Protection is 5.75% of the total ticket cost for the registrant.
Below is the list of covered reasons for cancellation coverage with Event Ticket Protection. These reasons are set by our 3rd-party insurance partner, Allianz Global Assistance, are subject to change and may vary per policy. The NPA does not have the ability to add/remove any of the reasons in this list. You can only purchase the Event Ticket Protection when you register online. You are not eligible for this insurance if you mail in your registration.
• You will be attending an immediate family member’s childbirth at the time the event is scheduled to take place as long as the pregnancy occurs after the effective date of coverage.
• You or a companion not arriving at the venue due to a delay by the travel carrier used for transportation.
• Your death.
• The death of a family member on or within 30 days prior to the event
• You or your spouse is permanently relocated by your or your spouse's current employer to a location that is at least 100 miles from your primary residence.
• You or a companion, after having been with the same employer for at least 12 continuous months, are terminated or laid off, through no fault of your or a companion’s own, after the effective date of coverage.
• Your home being made uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism, or natural disasters. This benefit only applies for the time that your home is actively undergoing the repair process.
• You are unable to attend the event due to a weather emergency within 24 hours of the event and the event is not cancelled by the venue.
• Any serious injury or any unforeseeable serious illness occurring to you or a companion which results in you or a companion being unable to attend the event for which the ticket is purchased. You or the companion must be examined by a physician within 72 hours of the cancellation and the physician must advise you or the companion not to attend the event.
• Any serious injury or any unforeseeable serious illness occurring to your immediate family member that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalization or which requires you to provide primary care to that person. Your immediate family member must be examined by a physician within 72 hours of the cancellation.
• You being required to serve on a jury or served with a court order or subpoena which requires your appearance in court on the day of the event, and which prevents you from attending the event. This covered reason does not apply if you are a legal professional acting in the capacity of that profession.
• Your or a companion's automobile having a mechanical breakdown within 24 hours of the event which results in the vehicle being unable to be driven to the event.
• You, a companion, or an immediate family member, who are on active military duty, having personal leave status changed, except for disciplinary reasons, which prevents you from attending the event.
• Your pregnancy, as long as the pregnancy occurs after the effective date of coverage, which can be verified by medical records and your physician advises you not to attend the event for which the ticket was purchased.
• You or a companion's tickets being stolen, provided that the venue or promoter cannot reissue stolen tickets.
• Theft of your automobile within 48 hours of the event that results in your inability to attend the event.
• You are unable to attend the event because an unforeseeable urgent home repair is scheduled to occur within 12 hours of the event and you are required to be present during the repair.
• You or a companion being directly involved in a traffic accident on the day of the event that causes damage to your or a companion’s vehicle which creates an immediate need for repair to ensure the safe operation of the vehicle.
• You or a companion being directly or indirectly involved in a traffic accident en route to a departure on a travel carrier resulting in you or companion missing transportation to the event, provided that the transportation was scheduled to depart no more than 48 hours prior to the event, and the travel carrier was unable to accommodate you or a companion on later transportation which would arrive in time to attend the event.