By joining The NPA, you become a part of an alliance of thousands of nurse practitioners who have made a personal commitment to their high level of professional standards, to their careers and to their profession. We are very proud to support nurse practitioners and nurse practitioner students by providing them with valuable services, resources, educational and networking opportunities they need to be successful. Join today!
Legislative & Public Policy
- Professional Advocacy - The NPA is the only state-wide association working to advance and protect your practice in New York. We have been involved in every legislative accomplishment for nurse practitioners in New York State since 1988, when our historic legislation that authorized the nurse practitioner profession was signed into law. Over the years we’ve had an unprecedented amount of consecutively removed barriers in New York State -- from passage of the NP Modernization Act in 2014 to our ability to authorize DNR/MOLST forms to Worker's Compensation reform. Your membership will help strengthen our collective voice in the State Capitol and continue to help remove barriers to NP practice.
Read more about the Associations history, accomplishments and milestones.
Education & Networking
- Local Membership - Members also become part of a Region and local Group when they join. There are twenty one local Groups within seven Regions to serve members on a local level. The Regions and Groups are run by nurse practitioner members who volunteer their time to provide leadership, education, meetings, teaching events, networking and more. You can learn, network, and earn contact hours with nurse practitioner colleagues in your area. Networking brings about many possibilities!
- Education - We offer conferences, events and meetings at state, local and regional levels. Our annual conference is attended by hundreds of NPs and members receive preferred pricing. Members can also receive discounts on educational products through our strategic partners. To view complete listing of continuing education opportunities click on the Calendar.
Journals, Publications & Communications
- We Keep You Informed - When there are changes or news that affects you, you will receive information including scope of practice, educational events, political, regulatory and career opportunities. When applicable we provide you with forms, links and other specific information.
- Subscription to the JNPA - You will receive The NPA's quarterly journal which includes New York State specific and national professional nurse practitioner practice news, clinical articles, updates from our Regions, upcoming educational programs and more.
- Subscription to NPA Insights - The electronic newsletter of The NPA, is emailed to members each month. It contains professional practice information; legislative news and updates; members in the news; new and information from the association, and information critical to your practice in New York State.
- Practice Resources - Available to members who need information or have questions: scope of practice, management advice, risk management, required practice agreements, licensing, certification, professional conduct, Medicare, Medicaid and more. On The NPA website you will find resource guides, forms, instructions, state and national links, rules and regulations, news, contact information and much more. Should you need further information, clarification or have questions, call or send us an email. The NPA promotes ethical and professional practice for all NPs.
- The NP Practice Resource Guide - An extensive resource that includes information on: scope of practice, reimbursement guidelines, collaboration, certification, a 70+ page appendix of forms, laws and regulations, applications, instructions and much more. Should you need further information, clarification or have questions, call or send us an email.
- Practice Assistance - Allows members to get timely answers to their important practice questions by a knowledgeable and respected nurse practitioner.
- Preceptor and Mentor Finder - Online search programs located on our website to assist you in your search. The preceptors and mentors available are nurse practitioner members who have volunteered their time to do so. You may also have the opportunity to find a potential preceptor or mentor at a local or regional function.
- The Student Transition Guide - A valuable resource for students who are preparing for NP licensing and practice. This conclusive guide contains instructions, a vast appendix of forms, links, phone numbers, addresses and quick tips. It will make the licensing process easier and less stressful. Topics included are: national certification, licensure, collaborative agreement, DEA numbers and professional conduct. If you still have questions, you can call on us for assistance.
- NSO Professional Liability Insurance - The NPA endorses Nurses Service Organization (NSO) for professional liability insurance. They are the nation's largest provider of nurses professional liability insurance. NSO has an advisory board of nursing professionals to advise them on current nursing practice and to provide input about insurance needs and new product development. NSO is a proud supporter of The NPA.
- Financial Planning - Wealth Advisory Group works with a variety of nurse professionals to help plan for their unique financial goals and situations. Your financial advisor will help you explore protection solutions and develop a retirement income strategy to help you live the lifestyle you choose and build a lasting legacy for those who are most important to you.
- NPA Career Center - A custom tailored resource for the nurse practitioner industry. Whether you are searching for a job, posting your resume or posting a job opening, you will be reaching the right people. Members receive a discount on job postings.
- Student Membership Discount - To support NP students we offer a substantial discount on their annual membership dues. We have a host of student specific services and benefits such as our on-line preceptor finder program, the Student Transition Guide and many other services that you will find helpful.
- Student Transition Member Discount To assist newly graduated student members in their progression from student to nurse practitioner we offer an additional discounted membership. All you need to do to qualify as a Student Transition Member is to be a current NPA student member in good standing.
- Professional Liability Discounts - Nurses Service Organization (NSO) acknowledges that higher premiums are difficult to manage especially in today's economy but there are ways you can pay less.
- Advanced Practice Education Associates (APEA) - NPA members will receive a 10% discount off of select products. For 20 years, APEA has provided NP certification review and preparation resources, as well as continuing education.
- DoctorsManagement NPA members can receive a discounted rate for services in areas such as practice assessment, practice start-up, comprehensive compliance risk analysis, customized compliance programs, reference materials and much more.
- ECG Academy® - is a world-recognized leader in online ECG training and offers a CE Certificate Course for NPs that is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Created by an award-winning educator and Cardiac Electrophysiologist, the self-paced course consists of easy-to-understand video tutorials that start with the very basics and cover everything you need to read complex rhythm strips and 12-lead ECGs. This comprehensive course awards 24 CE contact hours and is offered at substantial discount to NPA members.
- NPA Career Center - Member may receive 20% discount on job postings and single resume purchases.
- Fitzgerald Health Education Associates - NPA members receive a 15% discount on all items. If an item is already on sale at a greater discount, members will, of course, receive that higher discount.
- Springer Publishing receive a 20% discount on books and publications as a NPA member. Springer Publishing Company has been in business since 1950 and is known as an innovative nursing, gerontology, psychology, social work, counseling, public health and rehabilitation publisher.
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car's Business Rental Program - This account has been established in an effort to help members save money on travel. This program offers discounted rates for members of The NPA at over 7000 locations coast-to-coast. There are many local offices throughout New York State.
- AnswerPage - members can purchase the NYSDOH required practitioner education course - Medical Use of Marijuana at a discounted rate of $125 down from $249.